From Plato, The Phaedrus

And when [words] have been once written down they are tumbled about anywhere among those who may or may not understand them, and know not to whom they should reply, to whom not: and, if they are maltreated or abused, they have no parent to protect them; and they cannot protect or defend themselves.

—B. Jowett, trans., The Dialogues of Plato vol. 1 (New York: Random House, 1920), 279.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Welcome!

I've created this blog to track and share my thoughts as I attend the International Writing Centers Association Summer Institute at Quartz Mountain Resort in Lone Wolf, Oklahoma. I direct the Writing Center at Westminster College, a comprehensive liberal arts college in Salt Lake City, Utah, and am involved in the Rocky Mountain Writing Centers Association and the Utah Community Literacy and Writing Consortium. If any of these postings make you think about your own writing center practice, I invite you to share you reflections.

In planning to attend the IWCA Summer Institute, I set the following goals for myself. Forgive the administrator speak.
  • Maximizing the time available to me in my position. (I teach two courses per semester and have a one-course release to administer the writing center.

  • Further involving my student assistant directors in shaping Writing Center policy, overseeing projects, and mentoring consultants

  • Empowering consultants to take a more active role in Writing Center projects and training

  • Capitalizing on the Westminster Writing Center’s membership in the Utah Community Literacy and Writing Consortium to involve Westminster students in civic engagement and research

  • Planning for my term as president of the Rocky Mountain Writing Centers Association, especially in spreading the organization’s reach and involvement beyond Utah and Idaho and in hosting the Rocky Mountain Peer Tutoring Conference at Westminster

  • Identifying opportunities to conduct and involve students in research using the Westminster College writing center as a source of data
I look forward to seeing how interacting with fifty-some other writing center people at the institute helps me think about these aspects of my work.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent goals, Chris. I am particularly fond of your "shared governance" goal (for want of a better term.) I've been working on involving all stakeholders of the Student Writing Center here at SLCC and giving them a voice. I think it is good experience for peer tutors and other students and helps the Center to be relevant and important to their education. I also want to create positions with more responsibilities for tutors, but that is difficult in a bureaucratic system and where we are underfunded and overwhelmed as it is!

    I am really interested to read your account of the SI. Take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see you at Lone Wolf, Chris! I've been thinking through these questions of "shared governance" or empowering consultants through involving them in the depths of the work of a writing center, too. Communities of practice theory - and The Everyday Writing Center - have been *really* helpful for me in theorizing and operationalizing this. Let's continue this conversation during the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to your comments, Chris. Have a great time at the SI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Chris, you are in for such a treat. I found Summer Institute invaluable in terms of learning, growing, and making connections (theoretical, practical, and personal). Make sure to introduce yourself to the University of Utah's new director, Maureen Clark, will you? And Moira, you're going too? I'm so jealous. I can't wait to hear all about it from you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Chris.

    In regard to your time issue under the first goal, I think that your second and third goals will help you to accomplish the first ("Further involving my student assistant directors in shaping Writing Center policy, overseeing projects, and mentoring consultants" and "Empowering consultants to take a more active role in Writing Center projects and training").

    I, too, am thinking about "[m]aximizing the time available to me in my position." I am trying to figure out how I will balance teaching two sections of composition (one a three-credit section of first-year composition, the other a five-credit section that combines developmental writing and first-year composition into one course), and a six-week reading course (one credit) for those who have failed our university's proficiency exam; continuing to direct the Dakota Writing Project (which has been assigned as twenty percent of my time); and now directing the University Writing Center, an established center that is moving to a new location on campus. As I see it, I may want to be sensitive to natural connections between the Writing Project and the Writing Center. I am hoping to glean some words of wisdom from others this week in regard to this issue. Of course, I'll be seeking words of wisdom on many issues!

    ReplyDelete